A gentle reminder ...

The goal of this blog initially was for Mr. Mc to show his students and friends what he doing while in Pennsylvania and DC in 2011. Now it's being used as a place for him, travelling colleagues and former students to discuss edumacation and history related "stuff" as well as ... well, anything which pops into his head. Mr. Mc would never knowingly embarrass either the school he loves or the family he is devoted to. By joining in the discussion, he expects the same of you.

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Rain, Rain Go Away

Yesterday, the Bill of Rights Institute program ended. The final speaker, Robert Levy spoke Thursday and Friday on ways, he thought, the federal government (all three branches) had overstepped the Constitution. Our area this week has been property right so those were the majority of the cases he talked about. He is a senior fellow at the Cato Institute and so sees things from a more libertarian lens and makes his case passionately and articulately. The final session was an preview of the Supreme Court cases and legislation he sees having a significant impact. There were several areas but the one he spoke most about was the Affordable Health Care Act (Obamacare). He dissected Chief Justices Roberts opinion and I was impressed at his analysis. Not sure I completely aggree with it, but I see his point of view.

The aftrnoon and evening was spent settling in to hotel number three. I have stayes at the hostel before and I got tickled thinking about how two Sundays ago I was at the Willard, one of the premiere hotels in the city. The next Sunday I was at a Hyatt, nice but not plush. Now, I'm one for 8 people sleeping on the lower berth of a bunk bed. The hostel is not the nicest but the nicest as far as welcoming and helpfulness. Also the laundry room is cheap.

I'm sitting here writing because it has been raining on and off for the past 24 hours. I met up with a few of the folk from a previous conference last night and we had a nice dinner at Lincoln. I think you can guess the theme. I'm gonna try and get to a couple more places today, if the rain holds out.

No comments:

Post a Comment