A gentle reminder ...

The goal of this blog initially was for Mr. Mc to show his students and friends what he doing while in Pennsylvania and DC in 2011. Now it's being used as a place for him, travelling colleagues and former students to discuss edumacation and history related "stuff" as well as ... well, anything which pops into his head. Mr. Mc would never knowingly embarrass either the school he loves or the family he is devoted to. By joining in the discussion, he expects the same of you.

Saturday, July 28, 2012

All my friends have nearly 50 slaves each ...

This is a video someone put together about Slavery Footprint


Ok, For the past week I've asked folks to go to Slavery Footprint and see what their footprint is. I have been encouraged by the number of folks who did. Almost 20 brave souls also posted their number on the blog or on Facebook. I know, based on emails to me, that a larger number took the survery but decided not to post their footprint. (BTW--if you want to continue to post your number to the comments of that entry, please feel free--I will update the average every once and a while.)

Based on those who posted, the average number of slaves was


...almost 49

Many of you posted what items of services purchased explained your number. A short list includes:
  • Jewelry
  • BluRay players
  • Came Consoles
  • Computers
  • Smart Phones
  • Clothing
I've been wrestling all week with what my next steps should be. I've never been a good 'activist'. I tend to do better working from the inside. I served for a while advising the legislature on a couple specific community issues as well a professional trainer on those same issue and felt like I did more there than if I picketted and boycotted.

So, here is what I've decided to do.

The first thing was to take advantage of Slavery Footprints network already in place and send a few emails. I sent five emails to businesses I frequent:
  • Apple
  • Nike
  • Krogers
  • Samsung
  • Arby's
I also posted my status on Facebook. I try to stay out of politics (as a teacher I think I serve better neutral), but after spending a week at Frederick Douglass' home and Lincoln's Cottage, its hard to stay on the sidelines on this one.

The last thing I did today was to send notes to my political leaders:
  • Wichita Police Chief Williams
  • Both Senators Roberts and Moran
  • Governor Brownback
  • Oddly, the Kansas members of the House of Representatives weren't an option on the Slavery Footprint site.
AS I said, this is my start. I have decided to follow up electronic notes with personal one. I am adding a couple folks I know in the state legislature as well representative in the House. For my friends, you know I'm a bright shiny object kinda guy so don't be afraid to ask me what I've done lately on this issue. I also know that my passion may not be yours so, if human trafficking ain't it, I respect that. But ... what are you doing to make your community, nation and world better?


1 comment: