A gentle reminder ...

The goal of this blog initially was for Mr. Mc to show his students and friends what he doing while in Pennsylvania and DC in 2011. Now it's being used as a place for him, travelling colleagues and former students to discuss edumacation and history related "stuff" as well as ... well, anything which pops into his head. Mr. Mc would never knowingly embarrass either the school he loves or the family he is devoted to. By joining in the discussion, he expects the same of you.

Sunday, July 15, 2012

My kingdom for a washer and dryer

Part of my to do list today is laundry. At home, simple enough. Through a series of unimportant and, yet, annoying events, I'm in the Shaw-Howard University area of DC at a laundromat. Yesterday at the Willard next to the White House. Today in a laundromat in an area of the city not on the tours. Talk about a reality check. I did get to meet G, which I assume is short for Grandma. And she seems to be everyone's. When I called before leaving the hotel, I asked if it had both washers and dryers and her response was direct, "it's a laundromat isn't it?" I've watched her greet everyone whose come in. I walked in and saw her assessing me. I'm the only white person I'd seen in three blocks from the Metro and so she was right to assume I was out of place.
She has loaned extra quarters til 'next time' and shared her breakfast with another patron who asked. Even folks not doing laundry have stuck their head in to say hi. There is a man who appears to have a mental illness and she sat him on the bench I was on. I had to smile. As he sat down, he eyed me cautiously and G said, "that white boy ain't gonna hurt you." then she shot me a look I remember from my childhood. My grandmother was a formidable woman too.




No comments:

Post a Comment