A gentle reminder ...

The goal of this blog initially was for Mr. Mc to show his students and friends what he doing while in Pennsylvania and DC in 2011. Now it's being used as a place for him, travelling colleagues and former students to discuss edumacation and history related "stuff" as well as ... well, anything which pops into his head. Mr. Mc would never knowingly embarrass either the school he loves or the family he is devoted to. By joining in the discussion, he expects the same of you.

Monday, July 23, 2012

Mr. Mc owns 74 slaves! How many do you own?

Okay, I back at home and the laundry is going, my Grape Nuts have been eaten and I'm getting ready to go into my classroom. I like working in there a little bit each week during the summer. Sometimes, I even practice lessons without kids in the classroom. Keep your dork comments to yourself, I know I am. Had a nice chat with wife and two youngest sons last nights. Spencer and Max travelled at the same times as me and so we shared travel war stories. Maggie has been holding down the fort and I tell you I am a blessed man.

Alright, let me explain the title of this post. At Lincoln's Cottage there was a travelling display on modern day slavery. I wrote another post on it about the tragic Wichita connection about ten days ago. One of the suggestions in the display was to see how many slaves work for you. There is a organization named Slavery Footprint which does just that.  When you go there, it asks you questions and then calculates the number of modern days slaves are used to make the products you use, the food you consume and the businesses you frequent.


My footprint was 74. 74! The average footprint, according to the website, is 38. I had 74. It says to not feel guilty but that is crazytalk! 74. Now I might be able to argue it down to 70 but ...

[A note to my smug, granola-eating Birkenstock-wearing liberal friends. Get off the moral superiority platform right now. I don't care about your lifestyle, I care about the young women and men whose lives are being shattered by my casual consumer choices.]

[A note to my smug, red meat-eating, cowboy boot wearing conservative friends. Get off your high horse-literally! I love my country as much you do, but we are doing harm; this issue is at odds with every 'American' ideal we hold dear.]


Here is my challenge. Go to www.slaveryfootprint.org and take the quiz. Come back to my blog and post the number of slaves you own accoring to it. No names. No guilt. Just the number. I have decided that this is my first step. My stats shows that there are about 250 people who read my blog this month.  I am going to post this blog entry on facebook and twitter every day this week in the hopes that my friends (and their friends?) will take the challenge.

Will you do this for me?

29 comments:

  1. My number came up as 63. However, I know that some of that is skewed, since I know that some of the items I chose are made in America - especially my produce and food. I chose "eat all the time" for eggs, but my eggs come from my in-laws that live across the street. All spring and summer and into the fall, I choose fruits and vegetables that are locally sourced (farmers' market, etc.). But I know that my number is definitely not a 0, so there are things I can do.

    Thanks for the post - very interesting and I plan to use this with my current events students!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 35 slaves working for me. Interesting survey. I need to find a way to weave this info into my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had 49. Scary. I know the number is a bit off as I try to buy and eat as much local produce, dairy and meat as I can, but the rest is guilty as charged.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 52 slaves. I don't want ANY slaves!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have 46 slaves, apparently, but that doesn't include the illegal immigrants working in California that I'm sure I buy products and services from. Or does it? Also, a bunch of my electronics are 10-20 years old (I don't use them anymore), so I don't know if that is better or worse. How do we find out if someone is using forced labor? And what if definitions of forced labor vary based on opinions rather than the the folks who are actually doing the work? Just curoius. VERY interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have 62 slaves working for me... & I'm fine with that. J/K An intriguing site and activity, but I'm always skeptical of the numbers/stats from groups that have an agenda (i.e. like politicians). You might find a book interesting about the clothing industry & child labor that a local author wrote. It's called "Wher Am I Wearing?" by Kelsey Timmerman. Check it out... plus he's on FB too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FYI Dave... Irun Man is your roommate from last summer's awesome Presidential Academy. I bookmarked the slavery foot print website & definitely want to use it with my classes. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Irun-you mean the guy who ran Gettysburg in 106 degree weather? Hello, sir. Glad you liked the site. Raises some interesting dialogue. dm

      Delete
  7. 60 for me. I had to think about "family" items as to whether that counts for all of us (divide the TV by 4) or not. Regardless though, its very thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. PS I posted my score to my FB page too, so hopefully some additional readers of this important info...

    ReplyDelete
  9. My number is 42. I understand the shock factor of this exercise but I have an issue with the intro. From the viewpoint of someone who will (Dec!) have multiple degrees in logistics/supply chain, I don't feel it's fair to blame everything on the supply chain. The supply chain is only as good/moral/etc as the people who make it. Don't blame something that has greatly increased productivity and lowered the price of products! Blame the people who turn a blind eye to whats actually going on. (As I sit in my nice air conditioned office on a computer with a cold water bottle sitting next to me and my phone never out of reach... Yes, I realize the hypocrisy of my rant.)

    I apologize for hijacking the comment. What are you going to do with all the numbers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda, I understand your point and it is well taken. My goal for the numbers is two pronged. Part of it for me is personal. Where do I fit in the scheme within my peer group...people I know. The other part is to start a conversation. Your supply chain point is fair and I've noticed that a tenth of my slaves come from jewelry. I included Maggie's in with mine and realized it added to me as an individual. The first step for me is understanding and then awareness.

      Delete
  10. My number is 72.... Apparently, I'm pretty self-indulgent. That being said, the largest part of that number comes from the diapers for my baby boy, ironically named Lincoln.

    I am definitely going to incorporate this in my geography course this year. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, the largest part comes from electronics but 12 years ago it would have been Pampers, thanks for posting Brian.

      Delete
  11. http://slaveryfootprint.org/my-footprint#results
    I have 38 working for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 25- but it's just me and I'm old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it age or how often you buy a something 'newer'? Your recent office upgrade probably accounted for your number. I wonder what it would have been last summer?

      Delete
  13. 59 for our household. Mostly due to electronics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Found the same for electronics. Jewlery too, which suprised me.

      Delete
  14. 68 for me with three kids, and I don't have a TV but do have a computer, laptop, ereader, etc. We are gadget people, I admit. I also was honest about the clothing, etc. and fine tuned it. I don't believe most Americans are only at 38, btw, but across the world, probably.

    I do a unit on modern slavery and was glad to be introduced to this site. Thanks Dave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grif, I was wondering about who makes up the 38 average as well. Thanks for posting, glad you can use the link in your classroom.

      Delete
  15. 52 slaves. Probably more, considering that it's just using averages. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No sighs! This is making wonder what my next steps should be.

      Delete
  16. My number came up 63 for me personally. My number might need adjusted as I didn't include all of my wife's items-probably higher?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, I was the same. I added our closet and jewelry together. When I dropped her jewelry I dropped from 74 to 64.

      Delete
  17. Replies
    1. Currently living in China, but own a house in the US. Gadgets and toiletries were my biggest areas of exploitation.

      Delete