A gentle reminder ...

The goal of this blog initially was for Mr. Mc to show his students and friends what he doing while in Pennsylvania and DC in 2011. Now it's being used as a place for him, travelling colleagues and former students to discuss edumacation and history related "stuff" as well as ... well, anything which pops into his head. Mr. Mc would never knowingly embarrass either the school he loves or the family he is devoted to. By joining in the discussion, he expects the same of you.

Sunday, July 27, 2014

Searching for 'Searching For Bobby Fisher' locales

This façade sits right in front of the entrance to the dorms. I'm not sure what it is but I will find out.
So, I made it to New York this afternoon and just walked back from the a dinner with all the participants. Its kinda weird to meet for the first time, but by the end of dinner, the teacher chat is in full swing. I ate dinner with a teacher from Chicago and Dallas. The two professors were at my table as well so there was adult supervision. We ate at Trece. Wow. Order the fish tacos! The orange colored dipping sauce is really hot, but really good. Like 'looking for other stuff to dip it in' good.I even ate guacamole- and I liked it.
 

The building behind this façade is where I am living for the next week.
This afternoon, I wandered over to Washington Square Park. It is one of the places I wanted to see in the city. It has a history that is fascinating. You can read that here. One of the reasons I wanted to see the park is because of a movie. Searching for Bobby Fisher. It is one of my favorite movies. Period. Washington Park is an important part of the story. Here is the trailer for the movie.
 
 
I stood there and watched folks in the park. Hundreds of people. Playing chess. Playing in the fountain. Enjoying music and chalk art.


I didn't take any pictures of chess players because, unless you push in, all you see are blobs of people around a table. These folks looked serious so I chickened out.



 
 
I also wandered into Strand Books just up the street. 18 miles of books. Six separate sections on history. We'll need to revisit that little jewel. Its less than two blocks from the dorms.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment