A gentle reminder ...

The goal of this blog initially was for Mr. Mc to show his students and friends what he doing while in Pennsylvania and DC in 2011. Now it's being used as a place for him, travelling colleagues and former students to discuss edumacation and history related "stuff" as well as ... well, anything which pops into his head. Mr. Mc would never knowingly embarrass either the school he loves or the family he is devoted to. By joining in the discussion, he expects the same of you.

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Ford's Theater Retreat--Day 3

Day Three was all about the student speeches.

During the morning session, the students worked on their speeches and the fellows worked on movement with Jojo Ruf. It was interesting to think of a public speaker as a 'character' and that how you stand and move affects that character. Think, for example, how your feet affect how the rest of your body moves. Straight forward. Pigeon-toed. Bowlegged. It was out of my comfort zone to do movement exercises, but I learned a lot and it is something I want to play with in the classroom. After that, the fellows listened and offered feedback on teacher speeches and the kids saw a two man play, called One Destiny-featuring one of the teaching artists. I've seen it before and knew that they would love it. They did.




After lunch on the bus, we made our way to the Lincoln Memorial. It stands out as one of my favorite moments in DC. The students all performed their speeches on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial. Let me say that again, on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial-it was amazing. Cameron and Justin did themselves and us proud. All of the students did. After a few more moments with Mr. Lincoln, we headed back to Ford's Theater.

The remainder of our time, the fellows worked on after-retreat team building. We had a frank post-mortem on our year as a fellow and what life looks like as a 'off-year' fellow. I was encouraged to hear how they wanted to continue the dialogue and relationship multiple years. The students worked with Jojo on movement and then got to spend time practicing on the stage itself. We joined them near the end and it was so cool to hear them and see them on the stage.




After the days work was done, we headed to Arlington Cemetery. I can proudly saw I am 15 for 15 at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Yup. I cried. Like a baby. We saw the changing of the guard-I'm always moved by it. Always.

Tomorrow is the big day! The boys are calm cool and collected. They are ready. Their teacher is nervous for them. He'll work through it but he is so proud of them and the work they've put in. He is excited to share them with the audience. On a side note, I was selected to perform my speech at Ford's as well. The call came down at the end of our work session. I'm excited to do it but am, to be honest, battling nerves. I am proud of the speech and am going to work this evening and morning and so should be ready. I have to be honest, I'm glad, I'm glad I only have one evening to prep--there is no 'freak out time.' I'm sure, though, I will make some time for it.

See ya tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment