A gentle reminder ...

The goal of this blog initially was for Mr. Mc to show his students and friends what he doing while in Pennsylvania and DC in 2011. Now it's being used as a place for him, travelling colleagues and former students to discuss edumacation and history related "stuff" as well as ... well, anything which pops into his head. Mr. Mc would never knowingly embarrass either the school he loves or the family he is devoted to. By joining in the discussion, he expects the same of you.

Monday, October 3, 2011

A 'piece'-able kingdom

A couple weeks ago we tried the Zoom In strategy in class. We used the Peaceable Kingdom by Edward Hicks. There are several versions of the piece and I used the one from the Dallas Museum of Art. That print was the first piece of art Maggie and I bought as a married couple so I know this piece.
For Zoom In, you show only segments of the piece at a time and then let the students interpret and guess what will be in the next piece. When the next segment is shown in relationship to the first, they have to go to the original premise and decide if it was correct and if they need to adjust their hypothesis.
Zoom in—Day one
What do you see or notice? 
What is your hypothesis or interpretation of what this might be based on your interpretation?


Zoom in-Day two
What new things do you see?
How does this change your hypothesis or interpretation?
Has the new information answered any of your wonderings or changed your previous ideas?
What new things are you now wondering about?


Same process for each day


Peaceable Kingdom
Edward Hicks (American, 1780-1849)
1846-1847
Oil on canvas
Dallas Art Museum

I have to admit, the kids did a great job on this piece. I don't think, however, I facilitated as well as I had in the past. Part of the problem is that I know this piece and I think I tried to 'lead' more than I tried to listen. I own this piece and see it every day and so I have clear ideas about the piece-and I couldn't get out of the way or that. My conceptions about the piece became the lightning rod and, so, colored what insights the kids might have had. Again, neutrality is key to a good discussion.

Hopefully, I've learned my lesson and will be a better facilitator next time we use Zoom In.

No comments:

Post a Comment