WE MADE IT!!!!
The photo above is not the VW Bug James and I took to Illinois...yet.
After seven hours on the road, we made our way to Southern Illinois University in Edwardsville (just outside of St. Louis) for the Abraham Lincoln and Forging of a Modern America seminar.
There is a meet and greet tonight and then classes begin in earnest tomorrow.
One question I often get from friends about these little travels is about lodging. Usually, we get put up in dorms. The follow up is, "Are they nice or are they skeevy dorms." Usually nicer but there have been a couple.
Here are a couple shots of my digs this time out.
- Yes, those are hospital corners.
- Yes, I have already enabled WIFI on all the devices.
- Yes, it will take a hoist to get me into that bed.
- Yes, there are two books on Lincoln there. One of them is for fun when I have reviewed all the readings for the conference.
- Yes, I am aware that that is nerdy.
Actually, the most basic of rooms I have ever slept in on one of these trips is still one of my favorites.
- No air conditioning.
- A fireplace that no longer worked.
- No bathroom.
- A basin and water spigot literally from the Monroe administration.
The Lawn on the University of Virginia was designed by Thomas Jefferson and is the most coveted address at the university. I can say that, in the summer of 2008, I spent a week in a room designed by President Jefferson.
Of course, it wasn't as exciting at 2 in the morning when I had to walk about a 50 yards to the privy.
The one here is on the other side of the hall, so its all good.