A gentle reminder ...

The goal of this blog initially was for Mr. Mc to show his students and friends what he doing while in Pennsylvania and DC in 2011. Now it's being used as a place for him, travelling colleagues and former students to discuss edumacation and history related "stuff" as well as ... well, anything which pops into his head. Mr. Mc would never knowingly embarrass either the school he loves or the family he is devoted to. By joining in the discussion, he expects the same of you.

Sunday, June 22, 2014

A post from the Land of Lincoln!






WE MADE IT!!!!

The photo above is not the VW Bug James and I took to Illinois...yet.

After seven hours on the road, we made our way to Southern Illinois University in Edwardsville (just outside of St. Louis) for the Abraham Lincoln and Forging of a Modern America seminar.

There is a meet and greet tonight and then classes begin in earnest tomorrow.

One question I often get from friends about these little travels is about lodging. Usually, we get put up in dorms. The follow up is, "Are they nice or are they skeevy dorms." Usually nicer but there have been a couple.

Here are a couple shots of my digs this time out.

 
 
  • Yes, those are hospital corners.
  • Yes, I have already enabled WIFI on all the devices.
  • Yes, it will take a hoist to get me into that bed.
  • Yes, there are two books on Lincoln there. One of them is for fun when I have reviewed all the readings for the conference.
  • Yes, I am aware that that is nerdy.

Actually, the most basic of rooms I have ever slept in on one of these trips is still one of my favorites.
  • No air conditioning.
  • A fireplace that no longer worked.
  • No bathroom.
  • A basin and water spigot literally from the Monroe administration.

 
 
 
 
 

The Lawn on the University of Virginia was designed by Thomas Jefferson and is the most coveted address at the university. I can say that, in the summer of 2008, I spent a week in a room designed by President Jefferson.

Of course, it wasn't as exciting at 2 in the morning when I had to walk about a 50 yards to the privy.

The one here is on the other side of the hall, so its all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment