A gentle reminder ...

The goal of this blog initially was for Mr. Mc to show his students and friends what he doing while in Pennsylvania and DC in 2011. Now it's being used as a place for him, travelling colleagues and former students to discuss edumacation and history related "stuff" as well as ... well, anything which pops into his head. Mr. Mc would never knowingly embarrass either the school he loves or the family he is devoted to. By joining in the discussion, he expects the same of you.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

A Pile of Benjamins

I had some time to kill between a couple meetings and watched the Discovery Channel's The Secret Life of Money. It was interesting.
 

It talks about the history of money, it talked about the future of money and it also featured an artist I had never heard of who uses his 'art' (counterfeit money) and tries to exchange it for things like shirts and ice cream cones. His goal is to raise questions about why this or that has 'value.' Kinda interesting to think about.


It also featured the Bureau of Engraving and Printing in DC. It is one of the places in DC I have never visited but would like to. Teaching Economics without talking about money is like teaching American History and not talking about George Washington. I went on their website and it answered a question I've had but never really thought to ask. Why did all the other bills get a makeover but the $1? Than answer is here.

At the Federal Reserve in Kansas City, visitors are given a bag of money--shredded but ... If I make a few trips this summer, me and my students could play with out money. That would be a teachable moment. Hmmm.

If anyone else has some thoughts on teaching money...COMMENT!!!! I would love to hear your thoughts.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment