A gentle reminder ...

The goal of this blog initially was for Mr. Mc to show his students and friends what he doing while in Pennsylvania and DC in 2011. Now it's being used as a place for him, travelling colleagues and former students to discuss edumacation and history related "stuff" as well as ... well, anything which pops into his head. Mr. Mc would never knowingly embarrass either the school he loves or the family he is devoted to. By joining in the discussion, he expects the same of you.

Monday, December 10, 2012

Tweet to win cupcakes from DC Cupcakes!

DO YOU WANT TO WIN A DOZEN CUPCAKES FROM DC CUPCAKES?



This goes into the 'try try again' category.

Last summer I tried this contest and only one friend submitted. :( It wasn't an epic fail but it was fail nonetheless. However, like a Lost Boy in Neverland, I still believe so ...

I'm asking my students to condense the Gettysburg Address into 140 characters, twitter style. There was a cool contest done for the Declaration of Independence (here is the Slate story) that I'm liberating as an example of what I'm suggesting.

....SO...IF YOU WANT TO WIN A DOZEN CUPCAKES FROM GEORGETOWN CUPCAKES:

sum up perhaps the finest example of American rhetoric in 140 characters.

The contest is simple.
  • My favorite wins.
  • You must submit it with your full name (students-first name and last initial) in the comments box. You may also tweet it to d_mcintire using the hashtag #littleaddress. (I will post some of the twitter suggestions on the blog.)
  • I will only accept submissions to the blog and twitter--sorry Facebook friends.
  • There will be two categories--adult (college age and older) and student (high school and younger). One from each age group will win a dozen donuts.
Adults--first and last name please.
Students--please please only give me your first name and last initial.

I will make my selection on December 18th and have them shipped out after I notify you and then you select your dozen. What a great Christmas 're'gift!

What? You say, you need a copy of the Gettysburg Address? Here you go!

This contest is open to anyone (student or adult, teacher or administrator; friend of Dave's or complete stranger) in the Continental US. The more the merrier!!! The only thing I ask is that you read the "Gentle Reminder" at the top of every page. I teach young women and men and my kids see this blog so ...

6 comments:

  1. Dave,

    Here is my tweet. I'm at school now, and this was simpler than tweeting at the moment. I teach history and government in Wyoming and love teaching the GA too! What a great idea!

    Look to the DoI, said L & know soldiers died for new birth of freedom—our unfinished work to carry on. Only then will our gov't not perish.

    --Sharolyn Griffith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our forefathers conceived this nation in liberty and equality but unfinished work remains to us to deliver a perpetual government with a new birth of freedom for all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kirk Anderson posted on Twitter:
    A nation born, torn apart by color. Never forget those that died to allow we the people freedom. Remember or we die again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ellen Quillen posted:
    Here goes by 90s frat boy slang version:

    Once we all were bros, now there b bad blood. What we say here aint no thing, but pour some out 4 r dead homies. Freedom #2cool2be4gotten

    BTW-for full disclosure...this was Ellen's post in July when I ran the contest before. It was the only reply so she is getting cupcakes either way...but I also wanted her to get a chance at winning it properly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Max M. posted on twitter:

    Civil war bad. Stop the violence.

    I know Max's dad and while he likes the simplicity of the post...he thinks it needs work. As it is the only student post it is winning right now, though.

    BTW-I am Max's dad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete